Friday 3 October 2014

Naipayer

This cassette tape has kind of turned into a big-ish item for collector's over the past year or two. I picked mine up at the weird mid-point when a band is getting more attention. Basically, I got it cheap enough but I only got it because a copy or two started popping up when Whatever came out. I have these weird dips in my Nai Harvest collection, where I have all copies of some releases, and maybe only one or two of others. I'll pick up stuff as and when I guess; but out of everything I own this is the item that gets a bunch of people offering for it... 


This is the Nai Harvest / Papayer split. Self released and limited to 30, all on Orange cassettes. I think this could be the first physical output from Nai Harvest, their Ceiling Summer release was digital only I think? Black and White photocopied insert, hand dubbed tapes and hand stitched cloth bags. In a way it reminds me of old screamo stuff, in a packaging aspect at least. 


This is the other side of the insert. Maybe Lew Currie did the artwork? As you can see, information is a little sparse. Although, the art and text are so grainy from the sketchy print job that I'm glad that there's no small print. What is that cat even doing? 


Another photo, just to show how the cassette goes in, if you didn't figure it out. This kind of sounds a world away from what Nai are doing nowadays, but Distance , Etc. from this release was re-recorded for Whatever. 
These were self released; I assume that Nai got 15 copies and Papayer got the other 15. It was quite a while back, and probably at the time there was probably plenty to go round. Now they're on Dog Knights in the UK and Topshelf in the US, 30 copies may be a bit of a stretch. But I'm not selling or trading this any time soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment