Thursday 9 October 2014

IKYIM

This is another one of those LP's that has just sneaked straight into my top 10 of 2014. I really need to pull out all the records I have bought from this year and start making a solid top 10. This year has been so impressive for new music, and there's still a couple of months to ride out yet (and I need to play a little catch up too). 


Moose Blood - I'll Keep You In Mind, From Time To Time - 1st Press - No Sleep Records - Cloudy Clear / Powder Blue Haze /300 - Banquet Records Exclusive. 


First things first, this album art is pretty cool. I always think this band pick some solid album art, and it always makes an impact and resonates particularly with at least a track or two. I'd like to hang where this photo was taken. 


Back cover. I think the photograph extends and is the same photo, but without a gatefold cover we'll never know I guess? Either way it's still some great art. The barcode on the sleeve has been replaced with a stickered code over the top of it. As this was a Banquet exclusive (and cheaper than their regular distro copies) they were probably registered differently. I don't know. Also, this new Moose Blood logo (above the track-listing) has been kicking around on the internet prior to the album release. Bands should have logos more often; I still get people pointing out my Alkaline Trio and Touche Amore tattoos when they haven't even heard the band. 


On to the record! Although this is the rarest of the 1st press (aside from the No Sleep sub colour) I would quite happily have taken any colour, as they all look incredible. But this was the easiest to grab for me. I don't have another record like this in my collection, it's quite bizarre looking but it works with the art so well. Plus, the haze in it makes it a real trip when it's on a turntable. It's worth pointing out too that No Sleep have started doing these heavy duty dust jackets that are printed with No Sleep logos in the bottom right corner. They look way nicer than your standard white sleeves, and just feel like they're looking after the record a little more. 


B Side. The A label reads: 'Ill Keep You In Mind' and the B Label reads 'From Time To Time', pretty neat right? This side of the dust sleeve also is printed with the words 'Death To False Music' which gets thrown around on No Sleep merch and samplers. It's cool by me, maybe a slightly cheesy thing, but Chris Hansen has released enough great records to really do what he likes with his dust sleeves. 


Another thing. This record is crazy held up to the light, and you can really see the powder blue coming out in the haze. Definitely a good shout to get this variant made up. 


Next up is the insert. More photography from the cover art stuff I assume? And with a massive MB logo over the top. The background photo is nice, and I'm a sucker for autumn and continuing themes on record design. 


The insert is more of a 12'' booklet deal, with all the lyrics // thanks // credits on this side. I'm really into this and it's a perfect size for following the lyrics. I've listened to this so damn much already. 


Anyone want my download code? On the upside, I emailed No Sleep and got a new code with no hassle. I think this happened on a few of them, not a big deal and definitely more funny than anything else. 


Finally, the inside of the sleeve is orange to match the centre labels and the whole campfire thing on the cover. I'm starting to see more and more colour matching inside sleeves. Definitely something to keep an eye out on; and some labels are really making an aesthetic jump and going all out on ccertain releases. Which is good news for me, as I won't run out of stuff to say any time soon!

Speaking of stepping up the design game; someone sell me that rec release variant of this LP please? Grown ass man stuff got in the way of me getting to either gig.

NSR127 
Thanks for reading!











No comments:

Post a Comment