Monday 4 August 2014

A Murmur From the Ruins Echoes Softly As the Roots Undo

Let's be honest, this had to be written about at some point. It's an absolute benchmark for it's genre, and is of a quality that hasn't been rivaled or replicated since it's release, which was somehow a decade ago. 


As the Roots Undo by Circle Takes the Square. I've had this album on CD for a long long long time, but never ended up with a vinyl copy. Either I had the money when no one was selling, or someone was selling when I had other stuff to be buying or by the time I knew about it, it was long gone. But not to worry, sometime earlier in 2014, rumours of a repress started surfacing and I started to get really excited. 

By the time I heard anything else about it, it was a few days away from dropping on the band's Bigcartel, and all the little details started to unfold. 


For a start, it was a gatefold cover, which I believe hasn't been the case in the two previous pressings. (Edit: They were gatefold sleeves...) This closely follows the CD panel fold out that Robotic Empire put out way back in the day, and more importantly it looks really sweet. Also, the colour of the album art has been switched up from the full colour of previous pressings, to this silver and grey artwork here. I love it, it's cool to have a comparison with the CD copy/ previous pressings. 



Inside the gatefold there is some excerpt of the full art and the track-list, pretty standard stuff but it works well. 


The next thing I knew about these was that they were leftovers from a 'Westward Tour' and that kind of explained the switched up artwork/ cover. These copies were also numbered. When it arrived, I ended up with number 312/500. The little logo next to it is for Gatepost Recordings, which I believe is the band's own label. From what I understand it took the band a little while to get this in their hands again, so it's cool to see them really take a DIY approach this time around. Their newest LP was also released through this imprint last year on vinyl, maybe late 2012 digitally; either way not important. 


The variant I ordered was Bronze/ Ochre mix/200, and I believe the other variant was black/300 and was intended as an anniversary/ tour press but only came to the band midway through the tour, hence the leftovers. They didn't last too long though, I believe it was done and dusted in a few hours. Thankfully I managed to nab in early and get this one. 


Held up to the light it starts to look really impressive, I definitely don't have a similar variant in my collection as it stands. If you have sharp eyes, you'll see the A and B side labels are printed with the lyrics 'As the Roots Undo' - 'The Branch Becomes' respectively. This is from the track 'Interview at the Ruins' in which the album title is lyrically referenced. Also, it's the song that hooked me into the LP, so unsettling and unlike anything I'd heard before. I was beyond engrossed. 



Next up is the insert, single sheet two-sided deal with lyrics, thank-you's etc. and an explanation of the Westward Tour that happened in May 2014.



Also in the sleeve was this cool little thank you note/sticker from Kathleen Stubelek(?), who plays bass and shares vocal duties in the band. Apparently she tackles the whole mailorder thing and makes some sweet wallets too. The other CTTS LP I ordered came with a similar note if memory serves. 

I'm so glad that I finally own this on vinyl, it sounds incredible and looks perfect. I couldn't be happier with this release, it surpassed all expectations and is definitely a cherished record that gave this record a new lease of life for me in some respects. I could talk about this one all night, if you haven't heard it: 
 http://ctts.bandcamp.com/album/as-the-roots-undo

This band haven't released an awful lot in their time. A demo, two LP's and a split 7''. Maybe there is a track or two on a compilation too. I don't even own everything physically by this band, I really wish I did, and i'm glad that they've had a second wind over the past few years. 

Thank you for reading 
Kane






No comments:

Post a Comment