Friday 8 August 2014

You're not Punk, and I'm telling everyone

This was another one of those records that I just needed to own. Massively important in my mid-late teens, and an album that I can still heavily identify with. Plus, this album is so catchy that from the first time you heard Boxcar (let's be honest, you heard Boxcar first) you fell in love. 


And here it is. 24 Hour Revenge Therapy by Jawbreaker. This album held a somewhat childhood fascination with me, but I was 15 ish when I first stumbled across this LP. I hadn't felt that real need to own a certain record in quite some time, so this one hit me hard. There was a couple of road blocks though. Even though I was 15 when I heard this, it came out in 1994. I was 2 years old when this album came out, and it hasn't been repressed since to my knowledge. I'm sure it only came on black vinyl too? Anyway, I had to settle for a CD copy for a while, and wait it out til one came up for sale, preferably in the UK and not at the ridiculous price it somehow goes for on occasion. 


The back cover strikes me as odd. The colour scheme of the front cover in no way matches the back cover art. I'm not even sure what the back cover is... I remember spending time looking at the front cover, trying to decipher all the separate images. The live shot on the back cover is cool though, and you can spot the Tupelo Recording Co. and Communion Label logos in the bottom centre. Every other Jawbreaker LP I own are the Blackball Records re-presses, but somehow this one never came along. Some people may laugh at the whole repress game, but I wasn't even three years old by the time this band released their final LP, and so rather than spend all my money on an OG press of Dear You, I bought represses of all their LP's (aside from this one). Most of them seem to have had a light remaster too which is cool, though that may just be having them on vinyl? 24 Hour Revenge Therapy could maybe do with a little remaster here and there. I say that, but I'd probably just be pissed off that they didn't sound quite like they did when I first heard them. 


On to the insert. Again another great live photo, and some other bits and pieces along the left hand side of the insert. Pretty standard stuff, but finding a copy with an insert can be kind of a tough deal nowadays apparently. Why do people lose or throw away inserts? 


Obligatory lyrics, thank-you's etc. Think about all the great tracks on this LP, The Boat Dreams From the Hill/ Indictment/ Boxcar is just an opening quarter (well, roughly) that you just can't mess with. I like Unfun and Bivouac a lot, but this is where things really resonated with me. I mean, Do You Still Hate Me? is probably a song that most people of any age could find something in. 

I usually try to write about the aesthetic appeal of a record on this blog, and I know that hasn't really been the case here. But I wanted to talk about this album all the same. Nothing fancy on show, plain black vinyl, single sheet black and white insert, but sometimes that's all it needs to be. 





No comments:

Post a Comment