Sunday 17 August 2014

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of EOAY/SDF

Two posts in one day. It's a Sunday, and I'm not doing too much anyway. Plus, any excuse to talk about End of a Year/ Self Defense Family is a bonus. 


This is The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Emanuela Orlandi. Apparently there is a limited cover /8 for this release. However, I've never seen one and was only aware of it's existence recently. It may be another Bacha Bazi EP deal (remember, it came out on CUMHARD420 records). I'm still not sure if that is even a real thing. I don't think it is. If anyone knows anything about either of these though, hit me up!


First off; standard release. This came out around 2011 on the label Disposable Culture, a UK label that mainly dealt with UKHC releases. I'm sure they put out an Abolition split with Hang the Bastard. Black was the only colour, some say /300, some say/500. No dust cover, no insert, pretty basic stuff. I like that the cover matches the centre-label though. 


Back cover/ B-side label. Also, matching labels which was a nice touch. Here you can see that an insert was pretty unnecessary. You kind of get everything you need to know on the sleeve. 


Anyway, moving on to this odd little gem I picked up recently. This is for all accounts a tour press for the 7'', using the test presses. All of the covers were hand-made, and from what I have seen, different women were used for the cover. I think it was cut away from a newspaper. A-Side labels of this press simply say 'Side A', but i'm not sure what plant they were from. 


Back cover/ B-Side levels. The back cover is a quarter fold cover where the record sits. Again, these were hand made, and cut without a guillotine by the look of things, so are a bit off-centre. But I like it that way, very DIY. Also, UFO labels on the B-Side, very cool. These are hand-stamped too. 


A close up of the text on the quarter fold. I don't think the website URL exists anymore. The EOAY UK Tour was probably the Tigers Jaw/ EOAY/ Basement stint that happened late 2010/ early 2011. 


I ended up with number 12/25. I assume all 25 tests were used for this press, possibly as the production run wasn't ready yet. Weirdly, if memory serves I spent less on this copy than the 1st press standard. Either way, neither of them cost much. I'm only missing a couple End of a Year 7''s as it stands now(well, a couple of comp tapes and CD/cdr releases too), though the rate at which they release stuff i'll probably fall behind and have to play catch up. Fortunately, for the most part I only intend to collect one of every release, but when stuff like this pops up, you struggle to say no. 





No comments:

Post a Comment