Sunday 31 August 2014

Black and Blue

I have been on a real mission to grab at least one of everything by Give Up the Ghost // American Nightmare. It started with grabbing a couple of cheap 7''s, and from there it went on. Actually it started way before then. I said I had a cool story on how I was introduced to this band. I might concise it down for the end of this entry. Purely as I don't have much to say on the subject of this release. 


Year One. Give up the Ghost. This was originally a 12'' released through Reflections Records, and then Bridge 9 pressed it for a US release on 2x7''. A few years back B9 pressed this on a 12'' too, and then there is a CD copy with a few extra bonus tracks. 


Back cover // B / D labels. This compiles the two B9 7''s - S/T and The Sun isn't Getting any Brighter. Things get a bit weird on this release, as CD versions of certain releases contain tracks not available on the vinyl version. I believe this comp stays true to what are on the 7'' versions of both releases. I would check the B9 board or my copies, but i'm lazy.


The records are housed in a gatefold sleeve and folds out as such. The back cover contains the track-listing, label logo in the bottom right corner and what looks to be the photograph used in the American Nightmare S/T 7'' insert. The colour scheme is changed up a little though. That cover art is now probably more recognisable than the music, which is a sad reality but you can bet that there are at least a few kids wearing this logo on a shirt that have no idea at all. 


The inside of the gatefold. The left side text shows credits for the S/T 7'' and the right shows credits for The Sun Isn't Getting any Brighter. Both were recorded at Godcity, both were released under B9 (B9R007 and B9R009 respectively) and both were recorded under slightly different line ups. Illustration is credited to Linas Garsys, and design is credited to J. Bannon. 

I love that Wes is wearing a Sisters of mercy shirt in this photo. A while back, he started posting pictures of his AN era shirts that he wore live on Instagram. All shit like Depeche Mode, The Cure and SoM, the dude was always an out and out goth at heart. 

Aside from that I don't know too much about this release. There was a Clear // Orange / 500 variant. This was / 1000 and that made up the B9 press of this. I assume these were made as the name change prevented further 'American Nightmare' presses of the 7''s. Plus for anyone that missed out first time, it meant they were kind of caught up on what was going on. It wasn't exactly a necessary purchase for me, as I have both the 7''s, but it was on eBay and fairly cheap and I'll pick up anything from this band. I have a real jonesing for that Demo tape too now. 

Parting note. Long story short, I got introduced to this band by a guy I struck up conversation with in a restaurant when I was 11 years old. I was in Nottingham waiting around to go see Iron Maiden, and asked this guy wearing an American Nightmare shirt what it was all about. He took the time out of his evening to quickly tell me about all things American Nightmare / GUTG. It was December, and We're Down 'Til We're Underground was pretty new to the world then. He gave me a ripped CD copy of the LP he had in his car and I've never looked back. That was over a decade ago, and I still get that impact every time the needle drops.

Viva Love



No comments:

Post a Comment