Friday 22 August 2014

Love and Live

I posted about American Nightmare a quick minute ago. For a few people, the band stopped there. That's a really dumb opinion though, so we won't waste much time on that. I'm here to talk about two releases from Give up the Ghost. 


These were released super close together if memory serves. I bought these two at the same time from the same seller, so it seems fitting to put them both in the same entry. Also, I had been after both for some time; but the $45+ shipping (each) copies that haunt Discogs never really appealed to me too hard. 


First things first, the Love American picture disc limited to 1000. This was sold through Bridge 9 (logo bottom centre) and all went at preorders. There was apparently another variant (black with pink centre labels) /115 according the B9 Discography site. I've never seen one and don't know if they were for tour or anything, but I love the look of this picture disc. These are the copies I had seen, and this is what I was after. I don't get the hang up with picture discs, a lot of people seem to hate on them. I get they don't sound quite as good sometimes, but for the most part it's difficult to tell any difference and this sounds great anyway. I like how the image seems cut out of a few separate images, and then has the AN angel plastered straight on top. 


B -Side. I got the 3'' CD single of this way back so I already knew the tracks, plus everyone has heard Love American anyway. I would like to know the deal on the B-Side art, more specifically the note. AN/GUTG art is always pretty interesting, like the first time I grabbed Background Music I remember being really into how it looked. Back on point though, all the writing below the note is information like: track list, band members, booking contacts and recording credits etc. But when I was reading who helped on gang vocals, the names Tre and Jake popped up. I can only assume it's J. Bannon and Tre from Deathwish (Bannon also handled design and layout here). Damn, that Boston scene was so important. I happen to come from Boston, but the naff English one. 
This came housed in those super thick poly sleeves you get with picture discs, you know 'em.

On to the next. 


Live in London. I had never heard it before owning it (well, the live renditions anyway), and I'm glad I held off as it rips. Having a first listen that isn't through laptop speakers or MP3's is sometimes really important. All on white vinyl (well, aside from the tests) and limited to 750. These were given away by Bridge 9 (logo bottom right of the centre label) to anyone who ordered all '03 summer singles. Sadly, I don't have all of those singles, and this copy definitely wasn't free! But I have it now which is the main thing.


I think adding the London skyline to the centre label was a great idea, but nothing here is credited due to the sparse packaging. I know these recording were from a BBC session, but that aside I don't have much more to say on the matter. I'm surprised the packaging came through in the condition it did, as it's a printed dust cover inside a poly sleeve. It's held up really well considering it's age, and has been looked after by any previous owners. Both tracks (AM/PM and Farewell) play on this side. 


Which brings me on to my rookie error. I played this side like an idiot, expecting there to be hidden extras or something. There is not. I think it's reverse grooved too, and doesn't come with any sound despite being grooved. Between this, and the Have Heart 'Straight Edge' thing, it's fair to say the great dudes over at B9 are having a couple of laughs alongside the hard work. 

There it is. Another couple of records from a great period of music, that I am beyond thrilled to have in my collection. It's not like they never come up for sale, their numbers make them way more available than some other AN/ GUTG items. But it was nice to get them in one go and not get my wallet absolutely rogered in the process. 





No comments:

Post a Comment