Monday 11 August 2014

Giraffitape

Seeing as I slacked so hard on this blog, I am playing catch up super hard; and this release has really proved persistent in the 8 or so months of owning it. Plus it was a Christmas present, and everyone loves Christmas right?


Giraffidae by Bluebird. The dudes over at Wolf Town DIY put this out and it looks fairly incredible. By all educated guesses I would assume that ACDSleeve handled the cassette cases here, and they look really crisp. The printing is perfect and the 3-spine design makes it simple to store. Also, the little cutaways in the top of the case make it easy to grab the tape out without creasing or damaging the card. 


Back cover. Just a little extra illustration and track-listing. As you can see, the tape slots in the top and there is an extra spine at the bottom, to stop the cassette from falling out when being picked up. 


Side spine of the case with the band name printed. From what I remember, the release was limited to /50 and all of the cassettes were blue (Bluebird, geddit?). I like that the shells have the name handwritten (well, I assume all of them), but even more I like that this tape sounds clean. For a small run release, this is dubbed professionally and really helps the sound of the songs. With all the clean tones in the world on show here, it's nice that they sound as good as they can. 


Insert. This thing is tiny and damn near impossible to photograph well. It holds lyrics to the four tracks, thank-you's and folds into six sections; fitting inside the case with the download card without any trouble. 


Finally, I got this little note included with the release when I opened it; nothing like spreading a little Christmas cheer! 

Both physically and musically, this is a great package. I can only hope that they come out with some new material soon, as these four tracks are brilliant and I'm bleeding them dry a little. 
As the cassette is long out of print and there is no word on a repress at present, I have included a link to the tracks. If you dig anything twinkly, give this a go:

http://bluebirdnotts.bandcamp.com/album/giraffidae






No comments:

Post a Comment