Wednesday 20 August 2014

Sex Ads

I don't think I've posted about Cold Cave before. Odd, as I am incredibly fond of pretty much anything Wes Eisold is a part of. Cold Cave particularly resonate with me though. From the music, to the artwork, to the merch, to the aesthetic, it's all just spot on. So over the past year or two I have neglected my CD copies a little and have been delving more and picking up anything as and when I see it. Never particularly hunting out anything, but slowly expanding the collection. 


This is the Painted Nails 7'' by Cold Cave, and I believe it was their first 7'' release. I really love the songs here; more abrasive than what's normally on show but still just as great. These were both released through Hospital Productions, and both are /500 to my knowledge. 


1st press on black. Hand-drawn arrow on the A-side label. The artwork is really suited to the release, kind of beautiful and dark and a little bit gritty. Also, everything looks better in black and white.


Back cover/ B-Side labels. Two arrows this time, and that's how you can tell the sides apart (well, you could play them I guess). The back cover contains the A/B side track listing and the lyrics to the song 'Sex Ads'. In the bottom left corner, the Hospital Productions logo sits. No insert. 


In the sleeve though was this small Hospital Productions card. Kind of odd, as everything else is black and white so it sticks out like a sore thumb. But it's okay I guess. Also, the card only came in this copy, not in the second press. Which brings us onto: 


2nd press, clear/ 500 again with hand-drawn arrows on both labels. I picked up this copy some time ago, but only picked up the 1st press recently so it made sense to hold off talking about it until now. Since then there have been no other presses of this, and I won't go in for a test unless it practically falls into my hands. 


B-Side/ Back cover. From what I can tell, the jackets are identical for both presses. There is some word of the 1st press being a tour only deal too, but i'm not too sure on that. In fact, a bunch of Cold Cave releases seem to have conflicting information, or at least some kind of puzzling aspects. I'll be writing about another odd(ish) one before long. 










No comments:

Post a Comment