Tuesday 19 August 2014

пошлость

I'll kick this one out quick, as it's the dreaded CD format, spoken about in hushed tones the world over. Personally, I don't get it. I have a bunch of CD's, and I'll carry on buying stuff on CD. Sometimes, certain music isn't available on vinyl, and sometimes I know that an album or band for me is better on a certain medium. Sadly, this isn't one of these bands, but the cassette version is long gone, and there is no vinyl copy available so i'll take what I can get.


This is the first release from Nothing. Some consider it a demo, but it feels more than that, it just has a slightly more developed sound that a demo would suggest. It's a great listen. As you can see, the title is in Russian, and the literal translation is poshlost, which has a bunch of connotations. Some say it carries description of negative traits within a person or object; others say it suggests sexual promiscuity or vulgarity. I think the first mentioned definition carries this release well. 


Close up of the artwork. As the cover is home-printed and difficult to see, it's a male torso with the face obscured by light. This is a hand burned CDR, housed in a slim jewel case. I actually haven't seen another copy of this. For all I know, this could be a bootleg/ sick joke (although I doubt it highly). I know there's a copy floating about on Discogs, and I have read that the band made some CDR's of this release before Like Glue records made the cassette copies. I bought it in good faith and confidence either way. Furthermore, I have no clue how many were made as they're not numbered. I would really like to know a little more about this really. There's nothing out there about this release, they could have made 5 or 5000? I might never know.


Inside the case. The writing consists of the track-list, recording credits, media addresses and an email address. That is it. That is legitimately everything there is to say about this release. I would still love to own a tape copy. In fact, there's a bunch of stuff by this band I would still like to own. I have one of every release now (at least), but those cassette versions of this, Suns and Lovers and Guilty of Everything are really tempting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment